Category: haunted locations

myhauntedsalem:

Uley Road Cemetery

Over time, a local prank can turn into an urban legend, and then into a ‘real deal’ ghost story.

Uley Road Cemetery is one such place, where nearby events may be the cause for its haunted reputation… at least for one of the stories.

Still, this place creeps out many who visit it.

Image of Moses Garlick Uley Road Cemetery (also known as ‘Uleybury Baptist Church Cemetery’ and ‘Uley Chapel Cemetery’ among others, depending who you ask) is built in Uleybury a little ways East of Munno Para.

When Moses Bendle Garlick, a weaver, migrated to Australia from Uley, Gloucestershire, England, he was so reminded of his home that when he settled he named the area ‘Uleybury’.

In 1851 Garlick paid four hundred pounds for a small chapel to be built in an acre of his land set aside for the church. Garlick also helped the building of the Uleybury School in 1856. Moses Garlick died in 1859 and a memorial spire is erected in the Uley Cemetery to his name and efforts.

The memorial spire for Moses Garlick. There is much history to be found in the cemetery with many tales both grand and strange. A English woman traveled to Uleybury to plant a stick of willow from Napoleons grave on her sons burial plot where it ‘grew into a fine tree’. Many of the pioneers of the area are buried in that acre of land, land which has been used by the many religious denominations common to that area.

As with all cemeteries Uley is not without it’s share of ghost stories. The old chapel which was demolished in 1981 is said to have been used for all sorts of unholy practices. Through the 70’s and 80’s the cemetery was a regular hangout for young people and the headstones and chapel were badly vandalized – most of the damage you see today was caused back then. Many stories have popped up from that time and the stories still linger either re-experienced or passed down as legend.

The Uleybury Baptist Church Chapel (now demolished).One of the more common ghost stories, the ghost in white, may have been seeded prior to 1953 when a local man would dress in white sheets and jump out, scaring the hell out of passers by. The nearby crossroads have the local name ‘Ghost Corner’ due to these pranks. Today people share stories of a girl in white stepping out on the road right in front of your car, or a woman in a wedding dress running out on the road screaming – variations of peoples experiences due to that old prank?

Footsteps, moving shadows, whispers, talking and cries in the dark have all been reported out at Uley Road. Many people who have ventured out there at night have taken away an experience.

blogparanormalexpresso2stuff:

myhauntedsalem:

Pittsburgh Playhouse  

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  

Ghosts seem to like theaters. Perhaps many theaters are thought to be haunted because of their cavernous structure and acoustical design that amplify every sound: in a quiet, empty theater, the gnawing of a mouse becomes the sound of an actor’s spirit traversing the stage, or the knocks and creeks caused by the natural expansion and contraction of its many parts is thought to be a deceased crewman still hammering together a set. Then again, perhaps because a theater is a place of drama and every emotion, that those feelings are in a sense captured by the building and re-enacted even when the stage lights are off, resulting in a residual haunting. Certainly, there are many theaters where poltergeist activity and even apparitions have been encountered again and again. 

Before becoming a theater, the building now housing the Pittsburgh Playhouse was at various times a synagogue, a wedding reception hall, a bar and even a brothel. Today it is the performing arts center of Point Park University and the Conservatory of Performing Arts.  

The playhouse might be one of the spookiest places in all of Pittsburgh, if you can judge by the number of ghosts inhabiting it. One is the ghost of John Johns, an actor who died there in the 1950s of a heart attack. His disembodied footsteps can be heard near his old dressing room, and his apparition, wearing an old-fashioned tuxedo, has been spotted checking on sets and props.

The playhouse has its own Lady in White, too. According to the legend, she was an actress in the 1930s who shot her husband and his mistress upon discovery of their affair, then she killed herself. She has been seen on stage and in the balcony, still toting her gun.

A ghost called “Weeping Eleanor” can be heard crying in the dressing room area. The story goes, her daughter perished there in a fire when the row houses that once stood there burned.

myhauntedsalem:

Lord Baltimore Hotel

Baltimore, Maryland

The Lord Baltimore Hotel’s long history in the city has earned it a spot on the National Register of Historic Places.

Designed by William Lee Stoddard, it was the largest hotel in the state of Maryland when it opened its doors in 1928.

Guests have reported feeling invisible hands touch them in the elevators, but the 19th floor is said to be particularly haunted. The elevators go to the 19th floor when no one has pressed a button to send them there, and, according to some, the ghost of a little girl who is said to have committed suicide in the hotel frequents its halls.

ghostquest-usa:

Clapp Park in Pittsfield, Massachusetts:

#Pittsfield locals often report encountering the #apparition of a tall, shadowy figure near the old #railroad tracks behind Clapp #Park. Others report hearing the sounds of disembodied footsteps and voices, and on several occasions dating back to the 1950’s townsfolk have reported witnessing a #phantom steam engine traveling eastward towards #Boston.

If you liked this post, please consider supporting GhostQuest on #Patreon, and be entered into our monthly prize #giveaway!!
www.patreon.com/ghostquest_dot_net

myhauntedsalem:

Bristol Opera House in Indiana

The Bristol Opera House was built in 1896 by Cyrus and Horace Mosier, brothers from Elkhart, Indiana.  It opened in 1897 with a production of U.S.S. Pinafore by the Arion Company, and quickly became a showplace for Bristol’s arts and entertainment.  Over the years, the Bristol Opera House tried to keep up with the growing needs of the community, as well as advancements in technology.  It served as a music hall, a cinema, and even a skating rink, all before 1940.  However, that year, the aging structure was deemed unsafe for anything other than storage…a position it held onto for 20 years.

In the early 1960s, the former Opera House was still declining, and slated for demolition when the Elkhart Civic Theatre company swooped in and saved the building, eventually bringing it back to its former glory and turning it again into a showplace for Bristol’s arts and entertainment community. It’s reopening was in July of 1961. Today, the old Opera House is still home to the Elkhart Civil Theater, but its also home to a few resident ghosts.

One such ghost that calls the theater home is a little girl the staff have named “Beth.”  Beth’s apparition has been spotted at stage left, peeking out from behind the curtain and peering out into the audience.  Another presence is that of “Helen,” a middle aged woman who seemingly watches over and protects the directors and producers of the various shows.

And finally…there is Percival.  According to the stories, Percival was a former handyman who worked at the original Bristol Opera House in exchange for room and board, after he and his family lost their home in a fire.  Percival is seen as a trickster, and anything that goes wrong, from electrical disturbances to missing tools and/or props is blamed on Percival.  Percival really doesn’t like musicals, so much of the annoying behavior seems to occur when such a production is going on.  But Percival’s antics don’t end there; he is often felt brushing up against actors and guests, and has even been known to grab and jerk an actor back as he’s making his entrance onto the stage.  Ladies have an especially difficult time with Percival as he is often seen hanging around the women’s dressing rooms.  He’s also seen in the right aisle of the theater.

myhauntedsalem:

Brown Mansion in Kansas

The Brown Mansion in Coffeyville was designed by Edward Wilder and Thomas Wight for W.P. Brown and his wife, Nancy.  The house was completed in 1904 and was specially designed to accommodate Nancy’s petite, 4’11’’ frame.  The opulent mansion was the result of W.P.’s good business fortune.  Moving to the area in 1890 to work in the lumber industry, W.P. Brown shortly got into the natural gas business after finding one of the area’s largest natural gas wells.

However, the Browns would never really experience the same good fortune in child rearing as they did in business.  They had a total of five children, but only one lived to adulthood.  Two sons died at birth.  Son William died at the age of 4 from pneumonia and son Donald died while living at the home at the age of 11 from complications due to diabetes.  Only daughter Violet survived to adulthood, but even her family life would never be promising, either.

Violet married her first husband at the age of 19, but divorced shortly after their only child died at birth.  She did remarry, but that marriage ended in divorce too.  That’s when Violet decided to go to college, and become a librarian, a vocation she held until she moved back to Coffeyville in the 1930s to take care of her ailing parents.  When Violet wasn’t actively taking care of them, she could be found dancing alone in the third floor ballroom.

After W.P. and Nancy both passed away, Violet inherited the house.  She lived there until 1970 when she sold it to the Coffeyville Historical Society for use as a museum.  She also left to them most of the original furnishings, taking only what she needed to the nursing home where she spent her remaining days.  Violet died in 1973, but her spirit remains as one of five ghosts that are said to haunt the Brown Mansion.

Although the current museum director has never seen any evidence of a haunting, many other visitors over the years have reported seeing, hearing, and even smelling the five ghosts.

Violet
Violet is often seen in the third floor ballroom, dancing just as she did in life.

Donald
Violet’s younger brother Donald was the only sibling to live at the mansion and due to his health problems associated with diabetes, he was home schooled on the third floor.  When he died in 1911, Nancy sealed his room up, just as he left it and it wasn’t opened until after her death in 1937.  Donald is seen playing on the third floor and appears to be happy and carefree, sometimes whistling a favorite tune.

Nancy
Donald’s death hit Nancy very hard.  Her ghost is rarely seen, but is often heard outside his bedroom crying.

W.P.  
W.P. is both seen and smelled.  He loved to smoke a pipe, and is seen doing so in the first floor dining room and in the library.  Sometimes the smell of tobacco accompanies the apparition, and sometimes it is observed on its own in these same areas.

Charlie
Charlie was a servant who was like a member of the family.  He is seen sitting in his basement bedroom and also standing by the front door, as if awaiting visitors.

myhauntedsalem:

St. Augustine Lighthouse in Florida

Throughout the years, many ghost facts have been established about the St. Augustine Lighthouse that sits on the Atlantic Coast. When it comes to haunted places in Florida, this particular lighthouse is considered to be one of the most popular. The main reason for this is the location. This structure is located in what is referred to as the “Nation’s Oldest City” or the “Ancient City” . St. Augustine is a location with a violent and extensive past. Due to the age of the city itself, there are many ghost facts surrounding many of the historical buildings and locations throughout the area. All in all, the city as a whole is considered to be the most haunted out of all haunted places in Florida.

The lighthouse in St. Augustine is considered to be one of the tallest among lighthouses located throughout the United States. It is one hundred sixty five feet past sea level and contains an amazing two hundred nineteen steps that visitors must climb in order to reach the observation deck that oversees the Ancient City. The land that the lighthouse rests upon has had a sea guiding structure on it since the early 1500s. However, the lighthouse that currently stands has only been on the property since the 15th day of October 1874. Prior to this, the lighthouse that guided the sea ships in the Atlantic Ocean was only forty feet tall and was constructed of wood, contained only a lamp, and displayed a large number of flags.

In order to understand the ghost facts associated with the St. Augustine Lighthouse, it is important to gain an understanding of the history of the location. By knowing a bit of the history of the area, you will be better able to appreciate and understand why this is considered to be one of the most haunted places in Florida. Despite the fact that the current lighthouse was finished in the year of 1874, the actual construction originated in the year of 1871. Shortly after the completion of the lighthouse, work started on a home that would serve as a residence for the lightkeepers and their families. This was designed to house up to three individual families. This structure was designed using Victorian architecture and was completed within the year of 1876. It was common for a head keeper to oversee the structure and operation and for that keeper to have up to two additional assistants to assist in the responsibilities. In the year of 1955, lightkeepers were no longer necessary – only lamplighters were required. These individuals did not live on the grounds.

The ocean is often associated with many tragedies. This is particularly true of the Atlantic Ocean. Tropical storms and hurricanes throughout the years have caused many ships and liners to sink and many to lose their lives. In addition to this, many ships have been unable to withstand the harsh waves and currents of the open waters. As a result, many water vessels have collapsed under pressure and have sunk into the dark depths of the Atlantic Ocean. One of the ghost facts associated with the St. Augustine Lighthouse is that it appears – throughout history – that the light emitted from the tower not only attracts the living, but also the souls of those that lose their lives at sea. For well over one hundred fifty years, many ghostly tales have been told about these lost souls by those that worked at and lived around the St. Augustine Lighthouse. These stories have contributed to its reputation as one of the most haunted places in Florida.

The next story associated with this haunted Florida lighthouse surrounds a little girl dressed in clothing that is appropriate to the era of the early Twentieth Century. Upon investigating deaths that occurred in the late 1900s, it was found that a small girl was killed by a train that often ran near the grounds of the lighthouse during the time period. The documentation surrounding this child’s death is not at all specific enough to give a set age, but the individuals that have claimed to have seen her spirit tell that she looks as if she is ten to eleven years of age. Many witnesses to this real ghost claim that she is often seen walking around the structure that the lightkeepers resided in as well as the tower itself – just behind the bushes. Paranormal investigators feel that this young girl could be a residual haunting, or a recording of past events that occurred during her lifetime. She is believed to be connected to the St. Augustine Lighthouse in some way or another.

When researching ghost facts associated with this haunted lighthouse, there is another story associated with children. While there are many different versions of the story, the most basic story is that in the 1870s, when the current lighthouse was being constructed, two children of a lightkeeper as well as another girl that may have been the daughter or a maid or slave were playing on a railcar that was used to bring construction supplies in from the ships on the ocean. Unfortunately, the railcar crashed into the violent ocean. It is believed that the African American child was able to successfully escape the violent sea, but that the other two girls were not successful and died. Since then, many reports have been made of a small girl lingering in and around the lightkeeper home, as well as the tower itself. Today, many still claim to see this young girl staring out of the window of the lightkeeper residence.

While the stories of children spirits are the most commonly expressed ghost facts associated with the St. Augustine Lighthouse, several other spirits are believed to haunt the grounds as well. One tale involves a man who lost a large fortune in the stock market crash that occurred in the year of 1929. It is believed that he was so shaken over his financial loss that he took his own life by hanging himself. However, it is important to understand that no documentation actually supports this claim.

myhauntedsalem:

Bobby Mackey’s Music World

Although the Mackey’s have endured a number of years of success with the tavern, the good times have never quite erased the taint caused by the history of murder and death. The haunting’s at Bobby Mackey’s Music World do and will always remain stained with blood.

According to 32 sworn affidavits from regular patrons, staff, other eye witnesses and local police Bobby Mackey’s Music World is seriously haunted. The paranormal activity within the club is most often times proceeded by the strong smell of rose perfume, attributed to Johanna one of their resident ghosts. Famed Carl Lawson, the nightclubs caretaker, has had several paranormal experiences with the old jukebox in the dance hall. It is said that the jukebox has come on suddenly and has played an old tune from the 1940′s, The anniversary Waltz.

Many are quick to attribute it to a malfunction in the player, the only thing is that songs like this from the 1930-1940′s era were never loaded. The Waltz is a particular favorite in that it has been heard numerous times by different people. Chairs have moved inexplicably, rooms have gone cold, doors have unlocked on their own, lights have been turned on and off, bodily welts and scratches have appeared out of no where, people have been poked, prodded and touched and people have heard their names called, only to turn around and see no one there. Shadow figures have been seen in the basement as well as the bar area of the night club. Who the figures are no one is certain, many of the staff attribute the ghostly like figures to Scott Jackson and Johanna. A tall man in a cowboy hat is also seen wondering the hallways as well.

No one is sure of his identity but some claim it is the previous owner who committed suicide when the mobsters took his business and ran him out of town when the tavern was known as the Primrose in the late 1940′s. A sense of great fear is said to overwhelm anyone who enters the basement. Some are said to feel nauseated, sweaty, and short of breath. But, perhaps the most bizarre aspect of the Bobby Mackey’s saga are the claims by several people that they have had spirits enter their bodies, or momentarily posses them, while in the club. Some of the sworn affidavits claim they felt cold chills run through their bodies, while others claimed to have taken on different personalities and even facial features while inside.

After a while Bobby decided that his best bet to battle the paranormal forces that had seemed to take over the nightclub was to perform an exorcism. On August 8, 1991 reverend Glenn Coe performed a supposedly successful cleansing and exorcism of the building and surrounding grounds concentrating specifically on the well area. The entire feet was recorded on video tape. Unfortunately, the exorcism wasn’t as successful as first conceived. Within a few weeks the paranormal activity returned with a vengeance and continues to this day.