All About Auras
An aura could best be described as the energy given off by someone or something. Supposedly, everything has an aura, even an apple. Many people are able to either see or ‘sense’ auras, which may appear as a haze of light or colour surrounding something.
The colour an aura appears can have many correspondences, which can relate to someone’s mood or spirituality, or can be because of external factors such as light intensity. It’s even said to be possible to tell if someone is pregnant from the way their aura appears.
Common misconceptions about auras:
- It is always the same colour. – This is untrue, as auras tend to change colour when affected by many different factors. However one colour may be dominant.
- It is always the same shape and texture. – Nope, they could appear hazy, smooth, or spiky. Some could have auras spanning an inch from their bodies, but others could have auras reaching out to a metre.
- There is scientific evidence for auras. – Again, untrue. Despite many people being able to see auras, there is no way to measure them or comprehend why it is even there.
- Your aura is a shield. – Whilst it’s possible to utilise your energy to shield yourself from things through visualisation, your aura alone is by no means a barrier against spirits and vampire-like entities looking to ‘feed off’ your energy. Learn how to ward yourself.
- There is only one colour at a time. – Your visible aura can actually be a mix of colours. However, there are also seven different extents of your aura, ranging from physical to spiritual, which could all be a different colour at one time.
- It is especially important to note that auras are constantly changing. This could be seen as Anicca, or impermanence, in which the Buddha taught that nothing is permanent and everything is constantly changing. The aura reflects this truth in ourselves and those around us.
Seeing Your Aura
Some people are able to see auras with ease without a whole lot of practice, whereas others might never be able to comprehend the aura. It is common for many witches to practice with seeing their aura.
Here is a simple exercise which will help you to begin seeing your aura. This is what I tend to get people to do often when starting with auras. If inexperienced, it is important to practice often in order to get better!
- You may want to begin by meditating or casting a circle in order to have a better focus on your aura. Make sure you are calm and in the mindset to concentrate.
- Find a blank area, such as a white wall or a sheet of paper, and hold your hand out to it. It is important that you don’t get distracted by the colour of the wall or anything on it.
- Rather than focusing directly onto your hand, shift your gaze to look just past it. For instance just past your fingers, but not the space directly between your fingers.
- Focus on this space. To avoid distracting yourself, practice steady breathing as you would in meditation.
- Eventually, you should begin to see a haze of light surrounding your hand. At first it may appear small and even colourless, but keep practicing and you will start to see it even better.
The colour of an aura can have many connotations, and can be dictated by thr shape and texture too. But here is a guide to help you with the typical deciption of simple aura colours.
Centred/grounded, passion, anger, energetic.
Power, confidence, outgoing, good health.
Spiritual awakening/awareness, playful, happiness.
Healing, good communication, jealousy.
clairvoyance, honesty, fear of the future.
Daydreaming, spirituality, artistic, psychic abilities.
Newness, purity, reaching enlightenment, angelic.
Negative feelings, blocked energy, potential illness.
Grounded, tied to the outdoors, afraid to let go.
Loving, sensual, psychic gifts, dishonesty.
Physical and spiritual wealth, awakening of higher thought.
Enlightenment, protection from divine entities, guidance.
A rainbow aura can indicate a healer, a new soul, or reaching enlightenment.